Evaluation on the Application of the Return Directive (2008/115/EC)
The Research Team supports ICMPD’s IMR Competence Centre in drafting and quality control of several case studies being written in the framework of the project "Evaluation on the Application of the Return Directive (2008/115/EC)".
Objectives: The project will provide input to the Commission report to the European Parliament and the Council on the application of the Directive. The report will also be made available to the Member States' authorities, relevant stakeholders and the general public to facilitate an informed debate on possible further development of the EU Return Policy.
Specifically, the evaluation will:
• map and analyse the practical implementation of the benchmarks (common standards) set out by the Return Directive and identify potential shortcomings;
• analyse the extent to which the Return Directive has changed return policy in Member States (within the scope of the directive) to date (2013) as compared to the situation before 2008;
• analyse the extent to which the changes brought about by the Return Directive have led to greater convergence at the EU level;
• identify return policy aspects that are not/inadequately covered by the Return Directive, which should be addressed by the directive in the future/for which legislation in the field should be further harmonised;
• identify the scope for possible non-legislative initiatives that would enhance the effectiveness of the application of the directive.
The results of the study will:
• feed into the application report,
• complete the study on the legal transposition (currently undertaken by TIPIK), and
• inform the debate on possible further development of EU Return Policy.
European Commission - DG Home Affairs (2013): Evaluation on the application of the Return Directive (2008/115/EC).