CLANDESTINO - Undocumented Migration: Counting the Uncountable Data and Trends Across Europe
This interdisciplinary project is to support policy makers in designing and implementing appropriate policies regarding undocumented migration. It covered 11 EU countries
• Southern Europe - Greece, Italy, France and Spain
• Western and Central Europe – the Netherlands, UK, Germany and Austria
• Central Eastern Europe - Poland, Hungary and Slovakia
The project looked also at transit migration in countries/regions used as key ‘stepping stones’ by undocumented migrants in route to the EU, notably Turkey, Ukraine and one Maghreb country.
• To provide an inventory of data and estimates on undocumented migration (stocks and flows) in selected EU countries
• To analyse these data comparatively
• To discuss the ethical and methodological issues involved in the collection of data, the elaboration of estimates and their use
• To propose new methods for evaluating and classifying data
• To consider the factors affecting the shift between legal and undocumented status among migrant populations (where relevant)
• Database on Irregular Migration in Europe – provides an inventory and a critical appraisal of data and estimates related to undocumented migration in the European Union and selected Member States; accessible online since February 2009
Funded by: 6th Framework Programme (EC, DG Research)
Project coordination: Hellenic Foundation for European and Foreign Policy (ELIAMEP). The project consortium involves four academic partners, one policy institute and one NGO.
Contact: Veronika Bilger (ICMPD)
All project outcomes are available at the Clandestino website.
Comparative policy briefs
• Dita Vogel (2009): Size and Development of Irregular Migration to the EU
• Franck Düvell (2009): Pathways into Irregularity: The Social Construction of Irregular Migration
• Bastian Vollmer (2009): Political Discourses on Irregular Migration in the EU
Country policy briefs
• Albert Kraler, David Reichel and Christina Hollomey (2009): Irregular Migration Policy Brief - Austria
Link in English and German.
• Policy Briefs on other countries - Link
• Albert Kraler, David Reichel and Christina Hollomey (2009): Undocumented migration. Counting the Uncountable. Country report - Austria
• Country reports on other countries - Link
Michael Jandl, Dita Vogel, Krystyna Iglicka, Albert Kraler (2008) Report on Methodological Issues.
Special Issue of International Migration Journal 49(5), October 2011, Irregular Migration from a European Perspective. More information available here.
• Dita Vogel, Anna Triandafyllidou, Franck Düvell (2011): Introduction. International Migration 49(5), pp. 48-52.
• Michael Jandl (2011): Methods, Approaches and Data Sources for Estimating Stocks of Irregular Migrants. International Migration 49(5), pp. 53-77.
• Dita Vogel, Vesela Kovacheva, Hannah Prescott (2011): The Size of the Irregular Migrant Population in the European Union - Counting the Uncountable? International Migration 49(5), pp.78-96.
• Albert Kraler, David Reichel (2011): Measuring Irregular Migration and Population Flows - What Available Data Can Tell. International Migration 49(5), pp. 97-128.
• Thanos Maroukis, Krystyna Iglicka, Katarzyna Gmaj (2011): Irregular Migration and Informal Economy in Southern and Central-Eastern Europe: Breaking the Vicious Cycle? International Migration 49(5), pp. 129-156.