The Swiss Federal Office for Migration (BFM) has commissioned the ICMPD to undertake a comparative study of asylum procedures at seven European airports - Zürich, Brussels, Frankfurt a.M., London-Heathrow, Vienna, Paris-Roissy and Schiphol.
• To provide an overview of the legal and practical framework and methods applied in the selected airports
• To enable the BMF to put the Swiss policies into a European perspective
• To design better and more rational airport asylum procedures
Comparative analysis of:
• Asylum procedure at the airport
• Accommodation of asylum seekers during the procedure in the transit zone
• Deportation and securing
The study includes elements of field research (qualitative interviews with governmental, non-governmental and international organisations involved as well as visitation of the respective premises at the airport) and desk research (examination of legal texts, literature and relevant statistics).
Funded by: Swiss Federal Migration Office (BFM)
Project coordinator: Martin Wagner
Final report - Flughafenverfahrensstudie:
Vergleichende Studie des rechtlichen Rahmens und administrativer Praktiken hinsichtlich der Behandlung von Asylgesuchen und der Rückführung von unzureichend dokumentierten Personen an Flughäfen in sieben Europäischen Staaten
Download in German (8,56 MB)